Conor McGregor announces retirement from UFC, for third time
Mixed martial arts superstar Conor McGregor has once again announced his retirement from fighting on Sunday.
More from Sport
In a tweet posted just after UFC 250 ended, the former UFC featherweight and lightweight champion announced his decision to retire from fighting, making it the third time in four years that he has said he was quitting the sport.
The previous announcements, in 2016 and 2019, which came after being battered into submission by arch-rival Khabib Nurmagomedov in October 2018.
“Hey guys I’ve decided to retire from fighting. Thank you all for the amazing memories! What a ride it’s been!” McGregor said in his Twtter announcement, which was posted with a picture of his mother in Las Vegas after one of its world title wins.
McGregor’s last fight was earlier this year against Donald Cerrone at UFC 246, which ended in a 40-second TKO win for the Irishman. It was the first fight since losing to Nurmagomedov at UFC 229.
The 31-year-old, an icon of the UFC, is no stranger to controversy and hit the headlines last year for an attack on an older man in a Dublin bar that was captured in a viral video.
McGregor, one of the most popular fighters in MMA history, has a record of 22-4 and was the first UFC fighter to hold two championship belts at the same time.
He achieved that feat in 2016, when he stopped Eddie Alvarez in a lightweight title fight, adding it to his featherweight title.
That triumph was followed by a loss to boxing great Floyd Mayweather in a cross-combat superfight in 2017, his loss to Nurmagomedov, announcements of retirements and returns to fighting.
Source : Gulf News | Photocredit : Google